Brief Outline of Water Safety Audit
Rowing New Zealand has appointed Fin Sherlock to coordinate and lead this audit. Prior to the commencement of the audit, an online presentation was held on 16 November 2023 and highlighted:
- Updated water safety requirements for each club
- Structure of each in-club session
- Post audit review process.
Before each visit:
The club should work through as much of the updated water safety requirements as possible.
The club should then send their water safety policy to email@example.com.
Each visit will take approximately 1-2 hours and will consist of:
discussion with the club safety representative (club safety officer or another
representative appropriately appointed by the club committee) of:
- the club’s existing safety procedures and equipment
- the updated water safety requirements of each club
audit of each safety boat in the club:
- Checking for all required equipment as per the RNZ Water Safety Code
- Recording basic information about the club’s safety boat fleet.
Following each visit:
- Rowing NZ will send a summary of the results to the club, along with recommendations to the club on water safety practice
- Rowing NZ will follow up with individual clubs as and where needed, to ensure they are compliant with the requirements of the water safety code.
Timeline of the Audit:
The audit is estimated to be completed by April 2024. Please see the full schedule below.
- North Island - It is expected that the vast majority of North Island will be completed before Christmas
- South Island - The South Island clubs will be visited during early 2024.
Recording of Water Safety Audit Presentation